I am sure most of you have heard of a raw foods diet. If you haven’t it’s exactly what it sounds like- a diet that usually consists of raw fruits and vegetables. While I agree that we should all make an effort to consume more raw fruits and vegetables (bring on the carrot soup!) I do not follow a strictly raw diet. I believe there are plenty of valid reasons to include both raw and cooked foods in my diet. Check out this video to learn a bit more about raw versus cooked foods.
Anyways, back to the recipe. I am now the proud owner of a brand new Vitamix and have been experimenting with soups. I came across a curried carrot soup recipe on Raw Blend and tweaked it a little based on what was in my cupboard. The result makes for a warming starter or meal for those cold winter months. Maybe you can share a bowl with a loved one on this chilly Valentine’s Day? Valentine’s has passed here in Australia. Oddly, enough I spent the Hallmark holiday wandering around a meat festival with Will (it’s a long story).
Although I am currently living in Australia, and it’s hot as blazes over here, I still get winter food cravings from time to time. My body has not fully adjusted to the difference in seasons. I still want pumpkin pie in October and steaming hot stuffing at Christmas. I am emotionally attached to the flavours I associate with the Canadian seasons. Hope everyone back home enjoys this one for me!
Raw or Not Carrot Soup
- 5 large carrots
- 2 parsnips
- 1 spring onion
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- 1/2 tsp. ginger or 1/2 inch fresh grated ginger
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh cilantro, crushed peanuts and lime for garnish
- Chop the carrots, parsnip and onion into large chunks.
- Place all ingredients into your food processor.
- Blend on high until desired temperature is reached. If you would like it to be raw do not heat above 45°C or 118°F.
- Serve in large bowls with chopped cilantro, crushed peanuts and a squeeze of lime on top.