I recently got over a terrible bout of pneumonia. It put me flat on my back for a week. I had to take time off from my new job and I was unable to perform in the theatre show I had been working on for a year. It was frustrating, painful and depressing.
Though I try to be super healthy I seem to have a weak immune system. I always feel betrayed by my body when I get sick. Why do I become so ill when I work hard to stay active and to eat healthy food? I’m still working on solving the mystery. In the meantime, I’m not giving up on my healthy eating. More greens, I say!
This mint choc-chip smoothie is one of my cherished recipes because it’s packed with spinach but tastes like such a treat. Mint chocolate chip has to be one of my favourite flavour combinations. It’s cool and refreshing with just a hint of sweetness. When I need a mint-chip fix I always whip up one of these for breakfast or dessert.
Mint Choc-Chip Smoothie
- Large banana
- 1 cup packed spinach
- 1 tsp. mint extract or substitute a bunch of fresh mint leaves
- 2 tbsp. extra dark chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate
- 1/2 cup almond milk or other non-dairy milk
- 1/2 cup crushed ice or 4-5 ice cubes
- 1 tsp. chia seeds (optional)
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. If it’s too thick add a bit more milk.